SENIOR DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR: Challenging, Impactful, Rewarding
WHO WE ARE: Paradigm is an innovative, flexible, leading-edge Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) company. As Canada’s leading mortgage outsourcing company, Paradigm’s mandate is to enable new and existing lenders with a cost effective mortgage operation solution that can quickly respond to market conditions, lead the market in innovation and ultimately provide mortgage consumers with great choice, vastly improving their mortgage experience.
PARADIGM CULTURE: Paradigm is committed to open and honest communication with our staff. We believe by being transparent, truthful and sincere, we can serve each other and our clients with integrity. Our culture can be summed up in one word: family. We work hard at creating an exceptional professional family here at Paradigm and do not take it for granted. Every initiative, new hire, company event and daily activities are focused on maintaining and fostering our Paradigm family because we know that our employees are undoubtedly the key to our success.
THE OPPORTUNITY: As a member of our IT Infrastructure Team, you will be responsible for architectural infrastructure deployment planning (from a SQL server perspective), developing, implementing and maintaining the MS SQL databases, their dependencies and other data environments. This includes the creation of all plans and documentation for ensuring data reliability, integrity, security and usability. You will also be responsible for architecting and implementing associated systems and management software, as well as diagnosing and resolving database performance and backup issues to ensure optimal database performance and uptime. Also knowledge and management of Microsoft Azure SQL and other cloud based SQL server/service products will be implemented into your daily tasks as we migrate over and we all learn more about including this new technology.
Role Specific Accountabilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Establish, maintain and operate checklists and monitoring procedures to ensure that data environments run optimally and predictably
- Architect , recommend and implement future data environments in alignment with business objectives
- Participate in planning of DB migrations into cloud based services and operations over multiple distributed cloud networks
- Develop, implement and monitor policy and procedures, ensuring operational excellence and security-focused information management
- Identify and strengthen security, access management and auditing practices to ensure protection and integrity of information systems
- Adhere to regulatory and compliance policies, as well as process requirements
- Architect and perform technical implementations, upgrades and migrations when necessary
- Develop, deliver and maintain standardized documentation for all data environments
- Enhance and be responsible for data environments disaster recovery program
- Provide assistance to infrastructure team with other support, operational or project related tasks
- Create and maintain backup and retention tasks working with the teams backup managers
- Mentoring and teaching team members and other technical staff on best practices
- Troubleshoot and resolve ad-hoc issues and incidents where required at any time during production operations
Education / Technical Experience
- 10+ years’ experience in IT with key experience in senior database administration for MSSQL Server
- Experience with or willing ness to learn about Microsoft Azure SQL products and services as well as other potential cloud based SQL services.
- Experience with troubleshooting database problems
- Experience in monitoring database jobs and services
- Experience in performance tuning and optimization using a variety of tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Experience in high availability and disaster recovery options for MSSQL Server
- Experience in implementing operational automation using a variety of tools
- Experience with Microsoft Windows, Active Directory and datacenter hardware
- Experience in information security management practices
- Mortgage experience is a definite asset
- Exhibits solid communication skills, both written and verbal with ability to communicate and articulate technical information into layman terms
- Self-starter with take ownership attitude
- Excellent documentation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Initiative and organizational skills
- Strong results orientation
- Able to adapt and quickly develop in-depth technical understanding of new/different applications
- Strong ability to analyze situations, diagnose problems, develop and implement solutions, often within narrow time frames.
- Should be a team player willing to work on a variety of technical initiatives
- Should have the ability to work independently and identify priorities for completion of multiple tasks / projects under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize and follow-up on work
- Excellent organizational skills and analytical skills
- Detail oriented
- Sense of humor